Three arrested as Sydney shooting continues | Blue Mountains Gazette

NSW police officer leading new task force targeting underworld gangs has pledged to ‘break your back’ from escalating criminal turf war after ‘tit-for-tat’ shooting “overnight in Western Sydney.

Three people avoided injury after a house in Leppington, Sydney’s west, was sprayed with bullets.

Police said several shots were fired at the house and car on Carnelian Street around 9.45pm on Tuesday.

Two men and a woman were inside the house but were not injured.

Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Bennett described it as “another heinous act of organized crime in Sydney”.

“It has all the hallmarks of a tit for tat shootout,” he told reporters, adding he was extremely lucky no one was injured.

The latest incident comes less than six months after a 28-year-old man was shot three times in the leg on the same street.

Detective Superintendent Bennett also announced three more arrests in raids Wednesday morning as part of Taskforce Erebus, which was announced Monday to target organized crime.

One of those arrested is a 19-year-old who will appear in court in Fairfield on Wednesday for supplying prohibited drugs and having the proceeds of crime.

Members and associates of motorcycle gangs including the Comancheros, Finks and Rebels have been arrested so far.

Detective Superintendent Bennett vowed to “break the back on the current state of violent crime that we know of”.

The task force has extended its remit to the Sydney metropolitan areas as well as the central coast.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars from Central Coast “proceeds of crime” and around 40 luxury vehicles hidden in underground car parks around Sydney have been seized.

Police are under immense pressure to tackle violence stemming from organized crime and drug trafficking, following a spate of shootings and 13 deaths in the past two years.

Police have also been given new powers in the form of drug supply prohibition orders which allow them to apply to a court for an order against anyone who has been convicted of a serious drug offense in course of the last decade.

Persons under DSPO can be searched anywhere and anytime by the police without the need to apply for a warrant.

“Many organized crime groups recruit young people to perform low-level tasks like stealing vehicles and committing low-level crimes that often turn into assaults and other serious business,” Detective Superintendent Bennett said.

“And that’s the theme of the raids this morning to try to eliminate the available manpower,” he noted.

The orders will be placed on people strongly suspected of being actively involved in drug trafficking, NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Mick Fitzgerald said on Tuesday.

“It’s not just for young people who have had a conviction,” he said.

“These are people who are convicted of supplying prohibited drugs (and) who are actively involved in supplying drugs in their community.”

Australian Associated Press

Leave a Comment