Sinéad O’Connor’s 17-year-old son has died two days after he was reported missing.
The musician shared the news on social media, writing that he “decided to end his earthly struggle” and asked that “no one follow his lead”.
In the early hours of Saturday morning, O’Connor tweeted: “My beautiful son, Nevi’im Nesta Ali Shane O’Connor, the light of my life, has decided today to end his earthly struggle and is now with God. May he rest in peace and may no one follow his example. My baby. I love you so much. Please have peace.”
Police confirmed the news of the teen’s death on Saturday.
Shane O’Connor had been missing since Thursday and the Gardaí launched a call to his whereabouts. The 17-year-old was missing from Newbridge, County Kildare, and was last seen Friday morning at the Tallaght, Dublin 24, the Gardaí said. In the appeal, which was re-released Friday, officers said they were concerned for his well-being.
At the time, the singer had posted heartfelt messages on social media asking her son to contact her. “Shane, your life is precious. God chiseled that beautiful smile on your beautiful face for a reason,” she tweeted.
“My world would collapse without you. You are my heart. Please don’t hold back from knocking. Don’t hurt yourself. Go to the Gardai and let’s get you to the hospital.
“This is a message for my son, Shane. Shane, it’s not funny anymore that all this is missing. You’re scaring me. Can you please do the right thing and present yourself at a Gardai station. If you are with Shane, call the Gardai for his safety.”
The Gardaí have confirmed that the search for the 17-year-old has ended. “Following the recovery of a body in the Bray area of Wicklow on Friday 7 January 2022, a missing person request related to Shane O’Connor, aged 17, has been rejected,” a spokesperson told the Irish Mirror.
Condolences were sent to the musician on social media, with Cáit O’Riordan, formerly of the Pogues, tweeting, “I’m so sorry Sinéad.”