UIC researchers are conducting a research study to learn more about how weight loss affects colon cancer risk factors and are looking for participants who have had a colonoscopy in the past 5 years.
This study may be right for you if:
- You are between 45 and 65 years old.
- You have had a colonoscopy within the last 5 years and have had one or more polyps called “adenomas”.
- Your body weight and height classify you as obese.
- You are ready to participate in a weight loss study.
If you decide to participate in the research study, you:
- Come to UIC for one screening visit and up to eight research visits and participate in the weekly check-ups.
- Have your weight, height, body composition and caloric needs measured.
- Take multiple health, food, and experience surveys.
- Undergo three blood draws and three flexible sigmoidoscopies (a “mini-colonoscopy” without preparation or sedation is necessary).
- Collect three stool samples at home.
- Maintain food records and dietary records.
- Participate in one of three study groups (two include diet) for 12 months.
Participants will receive compensation for their time and reimbursement for travel.
For more information please contact:
TRE-CRC research team
Phone number 312-996-9342