A paramedic has issued an urgent warning about the dangers of feeding Easter chocolate eggs to young kids.
Nikki, an Australian mum who runs a children’s safety page called Tiny Hearts Education, shared a video explaining how mini, solid eggs are a “choking hazard” for kids.
WATCH IN THE VIDEO ABOVE: Paramedic’s warning about Easter eggs
For more Parenting related news and videos check out Parenting >>
“This year when you are doing Easter shopping for your little one, you are going to see so many of these little mini eggs and they’re delicious,” she said.
“But we’re not going to grab them. These tiny mini ones are round and hard which are two massive risk factors for choking hazards.”
The size and shape of the mini eggs can easily block children’s airways, leaving them struggling to breathe.
Instead, Nikki advised parents to buy larger, hollow chocolate eggs for their kids to reduce the risk of choking.
“These hollow ones are easy to crumble and much much safer for your little one this Easter,” she said.
Nikki said she would only give mini, solid chocolate eggs to her kids if they are three years or older.
“For me it would be once they have their full set of teeth and mature chew,” Nikki responded.
“I’ll give them to my five-year-old this year but not my almost three-year-old. It comes down to what you’re comfortable with. It’s such a personal choice based on how you feel.”
Her video has been viewed more than 330,000 times with many parents thanking her for reminding them in the lead up to Easter.
“I stupidly didn’t even think about them being solid – thank you,” one mum wrote.
Another said: “I didn’t think about this when I bought the eggs.”
One wrote: “Thank you for sharing this! My kids are eight and six and I have never, ever bought them the little eggs for Easter. They freak me out so much! We swap for something else if they receive them from elsewhere.”
While one confessed: “I’m 21 and I’m sure I’ve choked on a mini Easter egg.”