- The Kindle Cloud Reader is a browser-based Kindle ebook reader that you can use on your computer.
- With your Amazon account you automatically get access to the Cloud Reader.
- You can purchase Kindle books from the Kindle Store link at the top of the Kindle Cloud Reader library page.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
The Amazon Kindle is a popular tablet designed for reading ebooks, and if you buy Kindle books from Amazon, you can read them using the Kindle app for other mobile devices such as the iPhone, iPad, and Android. But Amazon offers you another easy way to read electronic books: with the Kindle Cloud Reader, which lets you read your books online in almost any web browser.
Set up and access Kindle Cloud Reader
If you have an Amazon account, you automatically have access to the Kindle Cloud Reader; you can open it in any popular web browser and log in with your Amazon account information.
If you don’t already have an Amazon account, you’ll need to create one before you can start using Kindle Cloud Reader. Go to Amazon and click Account and Lists top right. In the drop-down menu under the New to Amazon? section, click Create your Amazon account and follow the instructions to get started. Once you’ve created an account, the Kindle Cloud Reader is ready for you.
Add Books to Kindle Cloud Reader
You can add books to your Kindle Cloud Reader by purchasing ebooks on Amazon.
Do this from the Kindle Cloud Reader:
1. Click Kindle Store at the top right of the page.
2. Browse or search for books. When you find one you’re looking for, click it.
3. Make sure that on the product page of the book the Kindle version is selected. You may also see other editions such as paperback, hardcover, and audiobook.
4. Before completing the purchase, you may notice that there is a Deliver to: drop down menu. It is not important to select a specific item (like Kindle Cloud Reader). When you buy a Kindle book, it becomes immediately available on all your devices, including the Cloud Reader.
5. Buy the book in the usual way.
You should see the new book appear automatically in the Kindle Cloud Reader.
Read Books on Kindle Cloud Reader
Reading a book in the Kindle Cloud Reader is easy: click on the title you want to read. The book will open and you can scroll through the book by clicking the arrow on the side of the page, using the arrow keys on the keyboard or the spacebar.
You can also customize the reading experience with a small menu. To make the menu appear, move the mouse pointer to the top or bottom of the page. Here are your options:
- Kindle and Your Library: Click the Kindle logo or Your Library button to go back to your library page to select another book.
- Go to menu: This menu, which looks like three horizontal lines, lets you jump directly to specific parts of the book, such as the cover, table of contents, or a specific page.
- Show settings: This menu allows you to change formatting and readability options, such as font size, margin size, page color, and number of columns.
- Toggle bookmark on/off: Click to bookmark (or remove the bookmark from) the current page.
- Show notes and highlights: This button displays a list of all pages with bookmarks, notes, and highlighted text.
- Sync: Click this button to manually sync the current book so that all changes are up to date on whatever other device you want to read it on.
- Venue: At the bottom of the page, you’ll see a slider that shows where you are in the book. You can drag the slider to quickly move to another location.
In addition to these menus, you can highlight text or add notes for later reference. Select the desired text with the mouse and you will see a popup menu appear. Select highlight or Remark and enter a note if desired.
Delete a book from Kindle Cloud Reader
One drawback to using the Kindle Cloud Reader instead of the Kindle mobile app is that the Cloud Reader can fill up with books, making it potentially difficult to find a title to read.
Unfortunately, if you want to organize the Cloud Reader by deleting a book, you’ll have to delete it permanently from your Amazon account (so if you want to read it again, you’ll have to buy it again). If you want to do this:
1. Open the Amazon website in a web browser.
2. Hover over Account and Lists and then click Content and devices from the drop-down menu.
3. Click the checkbox for one or more books you want to delete, then click remove top of the page.