Ontario’s Minister of Education, Chief Medical Officer to provide an update on the schools reopening

The Secretary of Education and Ontario’s best physician will hold a press conference today on preparations for the reopening of the schools.

The press conference comes after Prime Minister Doug Ford’s office said on Monday evening schools will reopen on January 17.

Ford previously pointed to growing pressures on hospitals and an impending “tsunami” of COVID-19 cases when he announced the temporary shift to online learning on Jan. 3, which he said would last until at least Jan. 17, depending on the weather conditions. health indicators at that time.

On Tuesday, teacher unions and parents of school-age children expressed concern over the reopening plan, as the government will not offer PCR tests for students and teachers unless they become symptomatic while in school.

A Health Ministry document states that those who develop symptoms at home are being asked to isolate themselves and not attend school.

In a written statement released Tuesday, Education Minister Stephen Lecce said the provincial government is preparing for the return of classroom learning “by doing everything it can to improve ventilation, provide high-quality personal protective equipment and expand access to vaccinations.”

.

Leave a Comment