Novak Djokovic to meet with government officials on Saturday morning to fight second visa cancellation

Novak Djokovic and his lawyers will appeal the decision to revoke his visa, as he won a court hearing late Friday night to delay the deportation.

Lawyers for Novak Djokovic will challenge the immigration minister’s decision to revoke the tennis superstar’s visa.

Lawyers for the world’s number one tennis player have until 12 noon Saturday to submit their comments, while government lawyers have until 10 p.m.

The court hearing, Djokovic v. Minister of Immigration, is scheduled for Sunday morning at 9.30 am (AEDT). Whether it will be before one judge or a full court of three judges is yet to be determined later Saturday.

“I think three judges are appropriate,” Paul Holdenson, QC, acting on behalf of Djokovic, told Australia’s federal court David O’Callaghan.

The minister’s lawyers are hoping for a single judge, as a full court could hamper both sides’ chances to appeal.

Djokovic’s lawyers, Mr Holdenson and Nick Wood SC, will argue that the government made its decision “wrongly”, but the Commonwealth will argue that the high-profile Serbian athlete could spark “anti-vaccination” sentiment.

Watch the broadcast from Saturday morning here.

Djokovic has avoided deportation for now after requesting and receiving a ban late Friday night to avoid deportation.

Immigration Minister Alex Hawke announced the decision just before 6pm, under the Migration Act, which gives the minister full discretion and authority to deport any person.

Mr Hawke said the withdrawal of Djokovic’s visa was made on the grounds of “health and good order”, the basis of “public interest” and “protection of the Australian border, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic “.

“Today I exercised my authority under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to revoke Mr. Novak Djokovic’s visa on grounds of health and good order, on the grounds that it was in the public interest to do so do,” said the Immigration Minister. said.

“In making this decision, I have carefully considered the information provided to me by the Home Office, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic.”

The world’s number one met with government officials for an interview on Saturday around 8 a.m. before being questioned at 10:15 a.m. AEDT.

The interview will be held at an undisclosed location with Djokovic’s lawyers for fear of a “media circus” and lingering security risks.

Obviously he will be questioned about his trip in the 14 days leading up to his trip to Australia where he attended a number of events pending the results of a PCR test.

Earlier this week, Djokovic apologized after admitting that his support team “ticked the wrong box” on his entry documents, adding that it was “human and wrong and not intentional”.

Late Friday night, Judge Anthony Kelly, who earlier this week crushed his first controversial tennis player visa cancellation, handed the case over to Australia’s federal court.

Federal Court Judge David O’Callaghan will now preside over the case, which will take place on Sunday morning and be livestreamed on YouTube to millions of people around the world.

Djokovic avoided arrest on Friday evening and was allowed to stay in his current home in Melbourne.

Stream more Australian news with Flash. Stay informed with more than 20 global and local news sources. New to Flash? Try now 14 days free

His lawyer Nick Wood SC argued Friday night that Mr Hawke’s decision to revoke the Serb’s visa was “blatantly irrational” and was based on claims that his presence in Australia “might stir anti-vaccination feelings”.

He will be allowed to attend his law offices during court hearings next weekend, but he is expected to be detained.

Mr Wood is concerned the transfer of cases is “consuming time” ahead of Monday’s first round of the Australian Open.

“Given the extraordinary situation my client is in, every minute we have is precious. There are delays and perhaps unnecessary,” he said Friday night.

He also lashed out at Mr Hawke and the federal government for delivering the decision at the end of the week.

“The position we are in today is because we got a decision at 6 p.m. to the extent that media commentary that the minister was burned by material we supplied,” Wood told the court.

“The only material was a series of scientific articles, those on natural immunity were expressly not read by the minister. The health advice the minister received was included on the 11th. We are where we are because of the minister’s time.”

Djokovic’s challenge to overturn the ruling is unlikely to be successful and he could be banned from Australia for the next three years.

Australian Open officials said the top half of the draw – where Novak was drawn on Thursday – will compete on Monday, but could be postponed to Tuesday.

It means he must be on the track at Melbourne Park on Monday or he will be effectively knocked out for his tenth Australian Open crown and become the all-time best.

If Djokovic is forced or chooses to withdraw from the opening slam of the season, world number five Andrey Rublev will face his opponent, Miomir Kecmanovic.

.

Leave a Comment