General found guilty of sexual abuse loses salary but avoids prison

“I think the military judge here sent a message that she actually took this seriously,” Mr Conway told the newspaper. “It could definitely impact his retirement if he retired.”

The victim – who did not want his name used but consented to the disclosure of his family relationship to General Cooley – said in a statement after the verdict that “the price of peace in my extended family was my silence, and it was too high. price to pay.”

“Doing the right thing, speaking up, telling the truth, shouldn’t be that hard,” she said. “I hope it won’t be so difficult for the next survivor.”

Ryan Guilds, a lawyer for the woman, said many changes over the past decade have made it less daunting for victims of sexual misconduct by military personnel to come forward. These changes include policy developments that better support accusers, greater sensitivity of military leaders to sexual assault, increased procedural protections for victims, and prosecutors who are more likely to believe survivors.

General Cooley’s sentencing “is a sign of hope, for sure,” Guilds said. “The reality, however, is that every survivor who decides to come forward and make that brave choice is going to face a justice system that is going to be very difficult.”

He added: “In this case, it took years to get to where she is today, and I wouldn’t wish that trip on anyone.”

After a barbecue party in Albuquerque on Aug. 12, 2018, General Cooley, who had been drinking, asked the woman for a ride, she told the court, according to the Air Force.

Leave a Comment