DC Shooting On Connecticut Ave.: Over 100 Shots Fired

WASHINGTON, DC – The suspect in Friday’s shooting that injured four people in the Van Ness neighborhood of Washington, DC fired more than 100 rounds, police said Saturday.

Police Chief Robert J. Contee III said authorities are investigating a wider area of ​​Connecticut Avenue and Van Ness Street, checking with neighbors in the area to make sure there is no There were no others injured in the shooting that led to a shelter-in-place order for several hours on Friday. Bullet holes were found at a number of sites, Contee confirmed.

“We know over 100 bullets were fired from a long gun,” Contee said Saturday in reference to the Van Ness shooting. He said the speed of a bullet fired from a rifle makes it possible for it to penetrate other apartments in the area and injure other people. “We want to make sure people are safe.”

DC police said in a tweet that the police presence would continue in the area on Saturday: “To our community: thank you for your help and patience yesterday. There will be an ongoing police presence near the intersection of Conn. Ave. and Van Ness St., NW while throughout the day.”

The shooting suspect took his own life on Friday night when police broke into a fifth-floor apartment in the Ava Van Ness Building from where they determined the shots had been fired, but Contee didn’t did not name the suspect.

Raymond Spencer, 23, of Fairfax, has been identified by DC police as a person of interest in the shooting. On Friday night, Contee said police were no longer looking for Spencer after it was announced the suspect had taken his own life.

The four people injured are two women, a man and a 12-year-old girl. A woman, in her 60s, suffered an abrasion on her back and was not hospitalized, police said. The other three were hospitalized but were listed as stable, police said.

Officers who broke into the apartment found six firearms, including long guns and handguns, Contee said. A photo of the scene released by DC Police showed three rifles equipped with scopes, ammo and a tripod standing next to the window. Contee confirmed that the suspect used the tripod during filming.

The motive for the shooting, which led to a lockdown at Edmund Burke School and the DC-Van Ness University, remains under investigation, Contee said. Police were unable to determine if the suspect had ties to or was targeting the Burke School, a college preparatory school. The students who had been locked up were finally released to their families around 9.30pm on Friday.

Information about Spencer remained scarce on Saturday.

The Washington Post reported that unnamed law enforcement sources confirmed that authorities investigated posts on the social media site 4chan, where a user named Raymond Spencer made posts matching the time of the shooting and the the search for the shooter.

4chan’s post, titled ‘Shool shooting’ with the school misspelled, shows the user writing ‘Dear God, please forgive me’ minutes after the shots were fired. reported. The user later wrote “They’re in the wrong part of the building right now looking for XD” and the user’s last comment, in response to the comments, says “Waiting for the police to catch me”.

The Post also reported that a video showing glass being fired at the Edmund Burke School has been confirmed to be authentic by DC police.

DC Police continue to seek public guidance as part of the investigation: “If you have any information or guidance regarding this incident, please call our CIC at 202-727-9099/text 50411.”

Leave a Comment