City celebrates redesign of Hudson Street, nearly half of which is funded by local IDB

Hudson Street on Lower Manhattan’s West Side has been given a facelift with new bike lanes and more sidewalk space, thanks to a public-private project by the city and a group of local businesses.

The $13 million overhaul includes seven blocks of new bike lanes lined with a row of parked cars and concrete crosswalk islands on Hudson Street from Canal Street to West Houston Street, as well as 70 new spaces bicycle parking spaces, widened sidewalks and new benches.

The street redevelopments expand the pathway by approximately 2,000 square feet, or just under half the size of a basketball court, while adding 8,000 square feet of new plantings to beautify the space.

The new benches offer 170 additional seats.

The Hudson Square Business Improvement District paid for nearly half of the improvements, or 45%, while the city clawed back the remaining 55% tab, according to the Department of Transportation.

“That’s what this administration is all about under Mayor Eric Adams,” DOT Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez said at an inauguration event on Tuesday, July 12. “Inviting the private sector to continue working with the city, the opportunities here, will continue to transform our streets.

Improvements include a new bike lane from Canal Street to W. Houston Street, which is bordered by a row of parked cars.Photo by Kevin Duggan

The BID has been working for years on reorganizing outdoor space in the former industrial district, now best known for the relentless stream of automobile traffic that heads down the Holland Tunnel into New Jersey.

Business boosters unveiled a pint-sized open space next to the tunnel in May.

Mayor Adams said he is focused on making the city more welcoming for those who walk and ride bikes.

“We really want to improve the pedestrian experience. For too long, our cities have been all about vehicles,” hizzoner said. “But now, as we transform into bikers, we transform into those who use our streets and want to use them in a safe way.”

“We are taking the dream of a livable, sustainable and beautiful city and turning it into a reality block by block,” the mayor added.

Leave a Comment