Boris Johnson has said he was not contacted by police about a going away party for his former spin doctor Lee Cain in November 2020.
The Prime Minister said he had not yet received a questionnaire regarding his alleged attendance at the party from Cain, his former communications director, although others present would have received one. Johnson reportedly delivered a speech and poured drinks at the Nov. 13 event, though it was at the time of home confinement.
Asked by Times Radio if he had received a questionnaire from the Metropolitan Police about the party, Johnson said: ‘I don’t comment on that stuff usually but the answer to that is no, not so far or definitely not to my knowledge.
“All of this will become clear with the end of the investigation.”
He added: “I have been very clear with people. I don’t want to make a running comment on this, so let’s wait until it’s all over and then I’ll have a lot more to say.
The prime minister also said he wanted to “focus on the things” he was elected to do.
Earlier he told ITV’s Good Morning Britain he had ‘no idea’ if he would receive any further fines for parties in Downing Street under Operation Hillman.
He has already been fined – along with his wife, Carrie Johnson, and the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak – for a gathering held at the Cabinet Office on his birthday. However, he does not appear to have been fined for a ‘bring your own booze’ party in the Downing Street garden in May 2020.
In January, Johnson admitted to attending the event – held during the first national lockdown, when indoor and outdoor social mixing was banned – for around 25 minutes, but claimed he “believes implicitly that it was a work event”. Johnson’s principal private secretary at the time, Martin Reynolds, reportedly invited up to 100 people to evening drinks “from a social distance”.
At least one fixed penalty notice was issued last month to a Downing Street official who attended the May Garden event.