Photo: BC Gov Flickr
The provincial government has announced 2,275 new cases of coronavirus, including 412 in the Home Health region.
The new cases bring BC’s active file load to 35,943. Of the active cases, 646 COVID-positive people are in hospital and 95 in intensive care.
BC started counting hospital admissions on Friday in a new, more standardized way, so those numbers don’t directly compare to totals from earlier in the week. More information about the change, and what counts as hospitalization, can be found here.
There are now 4,916 active cases in the Home Office region, where 72 people are hospitalized, 12 of whom are in intensive care.
The new/active cases include:
- 813 new cases in Fraser Health — Total number of active cases: 17,256
- 523 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health — Total number of active cases: 9,397
- 412 new cases in Home Affairs — Total number of active cases: 4,916
- 227 new cases in Northern Health — Total number of active cases: 1,346
- 297 new cases in Island Health – Total number of active cases: 3,016
Six new deaths have been reported in the past 24 hours, for a total of 2,468. Two were reported in Home Health.
As of Friday, 89.0% of eligible people five years and older in BC have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.3% have received their second dose. Twelve-plus figures are 92.3% and 89.6%, respectively, while 30.5% have received a third dose.
From January 6-12, 21.5% of cases were not fully vaccinated. From December 30 to January 12, they accounted for 34.2% of hospital admissions.
Last week, cases per 100,000 inhabitants after adjusting for age (January 6-12)
- Not vaccinated: 453.5
- Partially vaccinated: 197.7
- Fully vaccinated: 396.9
Last two weeks, hospital admissions per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (December 30 to January 12)
- Not vaccinated: 53.8
- Partially vaccinated: 26.9
- Fully vaccinated: 10.6
Cases from last week (January 6-12) – Total 17,304
- Not vaccinated: 3,105 (17.9%)
- Partially vaccinated: 630 (3.6%)
- Fully vaccinated: 13,569 (78.5%)
Cases from last two weeks in hospital (December 30 to January 12) – Total 750
- Not vaccinated: 221 (29.5%)
- Partially vaccinated: 35 (4.7%)
- Fully vaccinated: 494 (65.8%)
Photo: Castagnet staff