To boldly go where no one has gone before! Sonequa Martin Green may be best known for her starring role in Star Trek: Discovery and for portraying Sasha Williams in The Walking Deadbut the actress has much more to offer than fans can get from her on-screen personas.
The Alabama native, 37, got her start in the 2000s, landing recurring roles on both Military Wives and The good wife in 2009. She played Courteney Wells in the CBS drama until 2011, after which she landed her first major role as a survivor of a zombie outbreak on TWD in 2012.
The actress – who played Michael Burnham in Discovery since 2020 – won recurring plays on Once upon a time and on new girl before hitting it big with the newest star trek series.
Martin-Green caught up We in April and revealed 25 things even her biggest fans might not have known – including her 90s celebrity crush and the star she’s admittedly been ‘pissed with’.
Scroll down for more exclusive facts about the TV star:
1. My first job was at Domino’s Pizza when I was 16.
2. The best meal I cook is every breakfast. I can really throw at breakfast.
3. My favorite book right now is heart meditations by howard thurmann.
4. I like when my children give me a gift because they were driven by the desire to please me and then took the time to make it happen. It’s just the sweetest thing!
5. Sometimes getting my kids to eat healthy foods is hard, I’m not going to lie.
6. I dream of creating a foundation for youth at risk.
7. Ginu wine was my celebrity crush growing up!
8. My first car was a white 1985 Toyota Camry.
9. My favorite thing to play with children is Legos. We’re having pretty fun out of the box with them.
10. I try to make brushing his teeth fun for my son, Kenric. He is 7 years old and still cavity free, and we want that to continue. We use Crest Kids Enamel + Cavity Protection Toothpaste.
11. For my birthday this year, I threw a Bob Ross painting party. What a good time. Game night too – I always have to throw one!
12. My favorite games with my family are Would You Rather and Rocket League.
13. Best advice I’ve ever received? Beloved.
14. I will never turn down an opportunity to watch Death becomes her. One of my favorites ever!
15. Of the places I vacationed, Paris and Israel were my favorites.
16. I always get pissed off when I meet someone whose work I admire. The most recent time was Stacey Abrams when she joined us Star Trek: Discovery for the season 4 finale.
17. On a Sunday, you would find me at church in the morning, in person or virtually. Then the rest of the day is spent spending time with family.
18. My favorite items in my wardrobe are my oversized blazers. I love them.
19. My first big purchase was a pair of black suede Louboutins.
20. My favorite thing about work star trek built something impactful with amazing people.
21. I always take my name on the canvas of my casting chair as a memento of everything I’ve ever filmed.
22. I once forgot my line during a call back. I had to ask the reader for the line. I still think about it and cringe!
23. I’m a portrait painter, but I was shocked to learn recently that I’m also a good painter!
24. My favorite show I performed in was Go get some clay, do the man by Will at the McCarter Theater in Princeton, NJ That’s where my husband, Kenric Greenand I met, so it was a life-changing experience.
25. There are so many black-owned businesses that I love, but I recently discovered a business called Sweet Cookie Wash. It provides all-natural solutions for feminine hygiene.